Yesterday I attended a lecture on the geopolitical impact of plate tectonics on the squiggly little bit of land that connects the North and South Americas. AKA: where we're going.
The emphasis was heavy on volcanoes, earthquakes, and the plastic way the land masses of earth play a sort of slo-mo slip-n-slide (with a few spoiler alerts about future political lectures about why the Panama Canal is in Panama)...............(No, it isn't just because calling something 'Panama Canal' and locating it in Nicaragua would have been just too weird.)
I didn't learn anything I didn't already know. But the speaker gave a good, solid, informative, amusing lecture (with lots of slides) so, I had a good time.
It definitely reminded me how much I missed well planned and presented lectures on the last few trips.
From that I went to watercolor painting class (this was inaugural: the first time Viking offered this kind of activity). 20 of us found our way to the back of a restaurant, dressed up in cheap, easily torn aprons, listened to a brief lecture/demo, then, with examples in front of us, started painting. 30ish people gathered around to watch......most of them got bored and vanished.
A few people took this very seriously, explained they already knew how to create great art (looking at the end-results, one of those souls was accurate and the rest were, perhaps, overly optimistic). A whole lot of people were scared but determined to try (and sadly intimidated by the show off big mouths).
I threw myself into the adventure with no-skin-in-this-game abandon and created a very satisfactory chaotic blob. (Photo to be inserted later today). The not at all subtle differences between watercolor about acrylic painting = not one of my painting instincts is valid. That was fun.
Today we are going to draw and paint a turtle.
That covers the highlights of a pleasant day.
I hope all of you had/are having great days!
No comments:
Post a Comment