Tuesday, December 25, 2018

21 - 23 December: Guatamala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica

Those of you who are paying close attention may remember my comment about infrequently visited 'little' cities in the 20 December posting.  ......  Then again, you may not.  I had to look it up.

Puerto Quetzel, Guatemala;  Corinto, Nicaragua; and Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica are working commercial ports.  Containers pile high everywhere.  Freighters arrive empty and leave full all day long. Ditto eighteen wheelers.  Men in hard hats swarm purposefully everywhere.

Sometimes tourists can walk into the local, tiny market (staying always between carefully ropes, rails, or drawn lines).  Sometimes the ship or the city provides a free back-and-forth shuttle.  All of the excursions travel to other, sometimes well-known, sometimes bigger cities, farms, places of interest.

Average daytime was about 95F with high humidity.

As easily predicted, I visited the local markets.  Handmade arts, crafts, and clothing (especially the fabrics items) were gorgeous, well made, and reasonably priced.  The sellers wanted to make sales but, IMO, were pleasant while strongly making that point.  The markets were shaded by spreading trees and cooled by ocean breezes.  I enjoyed each of them.

Most of the ship passengers went on excursions.  The scenery (think river deltas, jungle-covered mountains, volcanoes smoldering or otherwise) is truly awe-inspiring.  Most of the people I spoke to had a wonderful time.  ......  Many of them noticed it was hot.

I consider these days highly successful.

The best part of this trip is rapidly evolving into a separate posting.  Be patient.  I'll get there.




No comments:

Post a Comment